hunting link

On the tops

On the tops

Winter time

Winter time
Time for doing

Quote


'Begin doing what you want to do NOW ! We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand- and melting like a snowflake'

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Echos from the past 4



More from the diary....... We then traveled down to Neill forks, spent the night there, then on to Mangahuka, the highest hut on the block and I believe the best hunting also.
We were almost at the end of the climb when Gary’s, dog “Lassie” started winding off to the side. Packs still on we followed the questing dog. Gary up till this time was having a bit of a rough time with his hunting. It comes to us all at one time or another, and it’s a case of the harder you try the worse it seems to get. But you have to keep on trying because sooner or later the hunting gods will smile on you once more.
I am afraid they we were not about to smile yet awhile. I stayed where I was whilst Gary sneaked down to where lassie stood stock still staring straight ahead. I saw his rifle come up and boompha ,the cut down 303 spoke. The next moment a hind, at a quick walk came into view. There was a small gap in the scrub, into which she moved. The Mauser came up and coughed up 130grains. The hind collapsed where she stood, I was half hoping Gary’s deer was down also and this was another, trying to escape. Until I saw him with his hands on his head and pure anguish written on his face. It all told such a story of woe that needed no words.
After a couple of days of still continuing good weather, at Mangahuka the hunting gods where still smiling at me, but where positively laughing on Gary. ...Yes his luck had changed at long last, and the deer where starting to feel the wrath of a deer hunter back in form.
It was time for a change of scenery. Gary remained at Mangahuka. I decided to trudge my way along the main range. Early that same clear morning, on the way to Aokaparangi bivvy, I picked up a dozy spiker.
Even at that early hour, in the short time it takes to tail and whip off a couple of backsteaks, there where clouds of blowflies, droning about my ears.
What a feeling though, to score so early in the day. The sky was blue and not a cloud in sight, walking through the golden waist high tussock, , Able to wander where I pleased, physically fit and to be paid, as well. Man I was really living!
Aokaparangi hill was looming above me. Above the East Ridge the sun had already risen. In the suns wake, strolling along without a care in the world where two stags. I raced for cover threw my pack off, then edged over a tussock ridge, quickly found the lead stag in the 4x Pecar scope and watched them. The distance between them and myself was down to 100 yds and I dropped the first one where he stood. The other stag with two bounds reached the ridge top and disappeared over the other side. Angling slightly down hill I sprinted so as to ambush the stag as he made for the sanctuary of the bush. I topped the ridge only to find the animal stock still no more than 20 yds away looking quite bewildered. Upon spying me he started to take off. He
pitched forward in a heap whilst the report of the .270 was still reverberating around the hills. That’s what I call handy camp meat, both animals where well within 250 yds of my bivvy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

view from "Riverstone Cabin"

view from "Riverstone Cabin"
Hope River